Grasses: Tiger Grass (Thysanolaena maxima)
Tiger Grass is a grass from Malaysia that grows quickly and has decorative large leaves and a tight clump. Clean and trim clumps once per year to enhance the look after Winter. Doesn't like strong wind and likes to be watered regularly.
Landscaping enquiries welcomed. Current stock available in 3 sizes - 200mm, 300mm & 400mm. 200mm pot sizes can be sent via courier, but the 300mm and 400mm need to go via truck on pallets so please contact us for a shipping quote.
- Grows to approx 2.5m depending on soil type
- Growth rate - Super Fast - popular tropical screen
- Sunny/part shade - rich moist soils
- Note - tiger grass is not a bamboo, it's a grass :)
Fast-growing Tiger Grass is Ideal for Hedging
Byron Bay Bamboo is the perfect place for you to purchase tiger grass for hedging. Although it looks quite similar to bamboo, a tiger grass plant is a type of perennial grass. We also offer over thirty different varieties of bamboo, so you’ll be spoiled for choice.
What You Should Know About a Tiger Grass Hedge
Because tiger grass is not actually bamboo, it does not produce runners or side shoots the same way bamboo does. You will be able to control its growth more easily, as well as prevent it from spreading across your garden.
- Once planted, a tiger grass hedge will rapidly expand in most locations throughout Australia, except for regions that experience extremely cold and frosty conditions, such as Tasmania or mountainous areas.
- Your tiger grass plant will flourish if you plant it in a space where room is limited – the plant tends to clump tightly, which is why it’s the ideal plant if you would like to grow a screen in your garden.
- You’ll need rich soil full of organic matter to plant your tiger grass in and remember to water it regularly. It will also do better in full sunlight or partial shade, so you should be sure to plant it where it gets plenty of sun.
Why Trust Byron Bay Bamboo Regarding a Tiger Grass Plant?
We will ship carefully pack and ship any plants that you order using special plant boxes. These can weigh up to twenty kilograms because of the soil, so you should take care when opening these boxes. We will also include a free planting guide for you, offering advice on how best to plant your tiger grass hedge, as well as caring for and maintaining it. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our range of bamboo.
Byron Bay Bamboo was an excellent service and solved a screening problem with Tiger Grass which is a great alternative to bamboo for small spaces. Plants were of an high standard and well established. Highly recommend.
I’ve just bought Taiwan Jade bamboo and Tiger Grass and the plants are very healthy and a really good size. I’d certainly recommend Byron Bay Bamboo.
Great customer service and communication. Plants were healthy and bigger than I thought. Thankyou
Fantastic service and the plants are just so healthy!
Always happy 😃
Great service & plants!