Murray Island - Australian Native Bamboo
Schizostachym var. Murray Island, is Australia's own native bamboo. Originally from the Torres Strait Islands, this big green leaf bamboo is a popular option due to it's tight clumping nature.
Around the Northern Rivers area, "Murray" has proved a popular thick green tropical leaf - green screen. In the northern parts of Queensland Murray Island bamboo can grow up to 5m, but in the sub-tropics south of Brisbane, it's typical height is closer to 3m tall. Great screening bamboo for areas with limited space.
- Thick Tropical variety suitable for a smaller screen
- Position - Full Sun to Part Shade
- Min Temperature - to -2°C
- Typical height - 3-5m
- Typical culm size - 3cm
- Climate - prefers tropical or sub-tropical climates.
- Growth habit - tight clumping at base, straight up and down culms, bushy green leaf to ground.
- Growing conditions - well drained soil is preferred. But thrives in a moist dam p area (think rainforest conditions). Keep well mulched.
- Origin - Torres Straight, Australia